8.13.2014

The First Time (2012): A Review

I wanted to watch this movie because Dylan O'Brien was in it. That's my disclaimer. 

First, I want to talk about Stuck in Love (2013). Stuck in Love is one of my favorite movies, and I love love love the romance between Louis and Sam. She is cynical and anti-love, and he is fascinated by her, and is a hopeless romantic. Slowly she becomes less cynical, as his unwavering love for her changes her. Beautiful, right? (Seriously, watch that movie. 10/10)

That's exactly Dave and Aubrey's relationship. Only not as good. Aubrey's anti-romance sentiment is almost irritating at times, and Dave, though adorable (and easily capable of winning anyone's heart), has little to no motivation to fall in love with Aubrey. The two actors, despite being an off-screen couple, don't seem to have a lot of chemistry, making me question repeatedly what he sees in her. 

My favorite part of this movie? The side characters. Aubrey's jerk boyfriend, Dave's two best friends who have great chemistry. Dylan O'Brien is also great, as he always is. 

I think--and I don't say this lightly--that it was just too much awkward. Too many weird conversations, uncomfortable silences...usually I love awkward, but there was just too much. 

It was a decent ending/wake up call for Dave, but there was a lot of awkward and not-quite chemistry in the middle. (And my favorite song "Girls Like You" by The Naked and Famous was in it, so bonus points) 

My rating: 6/10

No comments:

Cool People in the World